[plug] Mandrake 10.1 and Mandrive

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Sat Sep 24 20:45:03 WST 2005

On Friday 23 September 2005 18:00, John and Susan Foster wrote:
> If not, does anybody know how I now access an appropriate mirror
> site, to automatically review my system and update where I require
> this ?

urpmi.removemedia -a
urpmi.addmedia --distrib \
  rsync://mirror.pacific.net.au/mandriva/official/10.1/i586/
urpmi.addmedia --update updates \
  rsync://mirror.pacific.net.au/mandriva/official/updates/10.1/RPMS \
  with media_info/hdlist.cz

If you want to upgrade to 10.2 AKA LE2005 (about 1% of things will
break), do this:

urpmi.removemedia -a
urpmi.addmedia --distrib \
  rsync://mirror.pacific.net.au/mandriva/official/2005/i586/
urpmi.addmedia --update updates \
  rsync://mirror.pacific.net.au/mandriva/official/updates/LE2005/RPMS \
  with media_info/hdlist.cz
urpmi --auto-select

If you want to do it without trashing your link for half a day (or
forever, if you're on dialup), make the last line something like this
(the 40k makes a 512kb/s ADSL link slow but bearable):

urpmi --limit-rate 40k --auto-select

Those URLs are free traffic if your ISP offers free WAIX (e.g. WestNet,
ArachNet, Highway1), but the AAPT I remember doesn't offer free traffic
from anywhere serious. You're likely to be pulling ~0.5GB for a minimal
install, ~1.5GB for a typical install, ~5GB for a kitchen sink (and a
couple of days at 256kb).

For the other onlookers: if you're a Telstra customer, you *may* be able
to get free traffic from rsync.planetmirror.com.

For the terminally curious, pointing your URPMI at the Cooker directory
tree now and upgrading will get you what is essentially Mandriva 2006.
I'm running it here, it works well, booting takes about half the time
and there are bundles of nice new features. There is no "updates" for
Cooker, the whole thing updates constantly. Remember to flip URPMI
across to the stable directory tree when 2006 is officially released.

Having URPMI aimed at the mirrors means being able to install anything
you like with a one-liner or RPMdrake. It's just like apt-get
(synaptic) on Debian, or Yum on Fedora, except Debian's packaging is
slightly more granular, and Yum's operation is slightly clumsier and
chattier. Deem SuSE and other package managers included by inference.

Cheers; Leon

http://linux.org.au/            Member, Linux Australia