[plug] [OT] Setting up Perth Offices for firms from other states

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Wed Sep 28 08:47:50 WST 2005

Chris,
I've been on the end of many "out of state" contacts putting in servers, workstations and routers.  They usually get my contacts info from Novell or my vendors that may have sites in their state.  AT&T for instance uses me to install Cisco Routers for their  sites in Perth.  Sometimes this can lead of more work sometimes it's a one-off.  Some have large IT departments but have cut-backs on traveling budgets, so now (thanks to high fuel costs) you may see a increase in calls for remote assistance.  Also some like to know there is a person with the skill set to just assist who they send.  I've been on-call for a lot of these type of installations (getting paid to be on stand-by is quite nice).

Jon

>>> caston at arach.net.au 11:22:41 am 23/09/2005 >>>
G'day list,

I've always had a kind "yearning" or dream of to being contacted by a
firm from a different state wanting me to help them establish their
Perth office.

Today I got a call from a guy named Perth at a firm called PMB IT in
Adelaide. Saying they wanted me to help setup a VPN for a company in
Belmont that currently had a Linux box setup as a gateway. I suspect
they actually wanted to replace it with a Netgear router and they
couldn't tell me who had put in the Linux box.

They were going to e-mail the details but that hasn't happened yet.

Apparently they had just acquired a company in Adelaide and the business
in Belmont was one of their customers.

I asked him if he said they were looking at setting up a Perth office
but he said no this was just to service the one customer they had here.

I'm just wondering if firms ever actually do contact people from Perth
and ask them to setup their branch office or if they usually just fly
one of their own people over to do it.

Any thoughts?

regards,

--
Chris Caston

Aptitude Technology
http://www.aptitudetech.com.au
ABN: 51614966828

Office: 1300 722 146
mobile: 0422 978315

If you want to be a narcacist go to the gym. If you want to impress women learn how to dance.

PLUG discussion list: plug at plug.org.au
Committee e-mail: committee at plug.linux.org.au