[plug] Fax server on Linux

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Thu Sep 29 10:50:09 WST 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 10:30 +0800, J Michael Gilks wrote:
> Got another one, must shutdown brain for a while or not drink beer while
> configuring important stuff.
> Would like to get a fax and voice mail system going.
> I think you can configure CUPS to send and receive faxes, but once again
> Google has outsmarted me and even a search in the CUPS docs, which returns
> results for 'fax', is not much good as I can't find fax anywhere on the pages
> returned in the search.
> Also thinking about vgetty for fax/voice combined although this might make
> printing to fax more complicated. ie Ctrl-p will not give you the choice of
> printers, fax or file.
>
> The server is Debian 3.1 testing and the client will be a mix of SUSE 9.3,
> Mandriva 10.2, Slackware and Gentoo if I ever get it running in VMWare.
>
> Can someone please help me with thoughts on the setup or keywords for Google
> search.
> Anyhelp greatly appreciated.
>
> Love
> Mike.

Well I went into www.alltheweb.com and searched on "Linux + fax" and got
some stuff including http://linuxgazette.com/issue28/vermeer1.html which
is a "Fax for Dummies" thing, talking about fax/efax/efix by Ed Casas

I seem to remember "hylafax" as well as
http://linux.ittoolbox.com/nav/t.asp?t=311&p=420&h1=311&h2=420

http://www.hylafax.org/ says "HylaFAX™ is an enterprise-class system for
sending and receiving facsimiles as well as for sending alpha-numeric
pages."

http://linuxgazette.com/issue79/fraile.html another "for dummies"

http://www.knology.net/~machida/linux/FAX.htm which says How to Receive
FAX on Your Linux PC

Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation.
                -- Johnny Hart