[plug] "Kits" as a tuitional tool.

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Thu Sep 29 17:06:46 WST 2005

Install gentoo or sorcerer - they could be described as kits/home built
linux distros

They are "Meta" distros that build an installation according to a
recipe.  The tutorial aspect comes from:
1. hands on learning
2. excellent (in the case of gentoo) documentation, wiki and forums.
The gentoo installation doc is a work of art(ists)
3. closer to the nuts and bolts than most binary distros
4. forces you to do things in a basic manner, without being gui'd into
hiding the underpinnings so you really do learn.

BillK