[PLUG] Networking problem. (warning, newbie alert)

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Sep 30 11:58:02 WST 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 22:40 +0800, Lee Jamieson wrote:
> Hiya all...
>
> I'm using Ubuntu Breezy and am having a whole stack of problems
> getting my network to run.  I have a Windows box and my gateway,
> connected to a ISDN.

Is the Windows box set up as a gateway, with Internet Connection Sharing
enabled? If not, you won't get DHCP, it won't route to the Internet,
etc.

What are your goals with this network? Do you want the Linux box to be a
router for your Internet access? Do you want it to go through the XP box
for 'net access? What do you want to do with the network?

Thanks for taking the time to post with some informative details. It's
much appreciated.

> lee at kubuntu:~$ping www.google.com
> ping: unknown host www.google.com

That's normal, since /etc/resolv.conf won't have any DNS servers in it.
Additionally, you have no default route, so even if the system did have
some DNS servers set up it wouldn't know how to access them.

> lee at kubuntu:~$ dig @192.168.0.1 ubuntu.com
> ; <<>> DiG 9.3.1 <<>> @192.168.0.1 ubuntu.com

You've asked the DNS server on 192.168.0.1 to resolve ubuntu.com . Since
you almost certainly don't have a DNS server on 192.168.0.1 that won't
do any good.

> After that I rebooted my linux box and now I can't access the network
> anymore.  I have no idea what I am doing now.

The `ifconfig' command configures the interface at runtime. It doesn't
save settings anywhere, so when you reboot the settings revert to
normal. You would have to configure your system to use a static IP
address if you wanted it to persist.

Alas, this is not as simple as `ifconfig --save'. Others have explained
the details for this configuration.

--
Craig Ringer