[plug] "Kits" as a tuitional tool.

John Knight anarchist_tomato at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 30 12:34:33 WST 2005

Personally, I love the idea. I'm a writer myself (mostly Tux Magazine at the
moment) and would be very interested in joining such a project, assuming you
want to publish it of course.... ;)

A problem we face in the Linux community is that we are reliant on people
who are already well past the learning curve, and they see the documentation
and howtos (and so on...) they've setup as adequate, when in reality, quite
often new users are totally baffled. Standard experienced user repsonse to
newbie question:
"Just use (insert program name), compile some new modules and install them
to your kernel...."
Standard newbie response to experienced user's answer:
"Okay, thanks a lot."
<thoughtrunningthroughhead>Eh? I'm going back to Windows, I only wanted to
watch TV!</thoughtrunningthroughhead>

This is how Tux Magazine started. :)

"...it was brilliant, there was three up against a thousand, and boy, did we
give those three heaps!"