[PLUG] Networking problem. (warning, newbie alert)

Alex Nordstrom lx at se.linux.org
Fri Sep 30 13:42:05 WST 2005

Friday, 30 September 2005 10:46 skrev simon:
> Ahhhh ofcourse, I forgot Debian detest the LSB cos they know better,
> and are striving to destroy any form of standard whatsoever :)

Nonsense. The Debian team greatly value the LSB and have gone to great
lengths to comply with it. In fact, I'd say a pathological effort to
comply with every conceivable standard out there, no matter how
obscure, is one of the very hallmarks of the Debian project.

The failure of any package to comply with the LSB is considered a
release-critical bug for the latest stable release and onwards. Debian
has an active mailing list entirely devoted to LSB compliance, and
originally hosted many of the mailing lists used by the LSB project
itself.

As far as I can see, neither the LSB nor the FHS (which the LSB includes
by reference for the relevant areas) make any mention of either the
sysconfig or the network subhierarchies.

Fortunately, it seems that inelegant but widespread practices of the
RPM-based crowd are not yet codified by automation in the LSB.

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/