[plug] help with SIP/RTP protocol

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Sat Apr 1 17:17:54 WST 2006

I have not used that one, but xtenphone and twinkle (and a linksys PAP2
device) all allow you to set a range of ports + the SIP port (which you
just need to accept on the firewall machine, for me I use 5060, and
7070-7079 - all locked via iptables to the iinet server for WA) and then
specify the firewall IP address and set NAT on in the VoIP application.
Keepalives then keep the SIP channel open.  No need to port fwd or
anything else on the firewall as normal NAT then works.

A more flexible approach is to run asterix on the firewall so it talks
to its peers directly, and use extensions internally - this is the
approach I want to use but while I can peer with iinetphone, I have not
worked out the extension part yet!

BillK