[plug] Web/Mail host solution (On topic with "Exchange killer")

Shannon Carver shannon.carver at gmail.com
Sun Apr 2 00:41:32 WST 2006

Kwaka wrote:
> Reference: http://www.icewarp.com/
>
> Although this is not a free solution, it follows multiple open protocol
> standards with seemingly smooth integration. I only witnessed it in
> use, but I haven't seen anything as nicely done as this in the linux
> groupware department. From an old thread to the tune: Opensource
> groupware stinks.
>
> Short feature list:
>
> *Internet protocol compliant:*
>   * SMTP/ESMTP/POP3/IMAP4rev1
>   * Jabber/XMPP
>   * LDAP
>   * HTTP/FTP
>   * IPv4/IPv6
>   * SNMP
>   * TLS/SSL on top of all possible protocols
>
> *Administration and remote access:*
>   * Command line wizards and setup
>   * HTTP administration interface
>   * Remote administration console
>
> *Account types and options*
>   * Multiple domains & users
>   * Mailing lists & list servers
>   * Remote accounts
>   * Executables
>   * Catalogs
>   * Notifications
>
> Complete feature list:
> http://www.icewarp.com/Products/Merak_Email_Server_Software_Linux/index.html

On this topic, I've been contacted by an old employer recently wanting
me to put together a all-in-one hosting solution for his group of
websites/domains (that's slowly but surely, getting a little bit too
much to handle manually).  Think Plesk/CPanel or something similar.

I've had a fair bit of success with setting up courier IMAP/POP with
virtual mailboxes/domains mixed with an apache/bind script to create
domains/mail accounts/websites in the past but I'd like to be able to
install this, then get it up and running and forget about it
completely.  By that I mean that, even with a foolproof script/web front
end to do all the work for him, I'd rather not have to deal with the
problems later and would prefer an all-in-one solution.

I've taken a look over freshmeat and a few other hosting sites, and the
only open source project that looks particularly promising is ISPConfig,
which has a great interface, but doesn't support Virtual Maiboxes (As of
the current version, anyway).  He's already got admin@ support@ etc etc
over many domains (virtual mailboxes) in the current system, so the last
thing I'd want to be dong is going back to system users, and aliases.

Now, before I go off and force him into payiing the $2000 (something
like that) licence for CPanel, does anyone know of  a similar solution
that might help out?  The current size of the system is about 40
separate domains, with most having a few (1-5 email accounts), but two
of our community domains  with 200+.  The current system works, but as
my scripting isn't exactly perfect, far from it in fact, its not very
scalable, and I'm really looking to cut ties completely after this is
complete.

Any help, greatly appreciated'

Regards

Shannon Carver