[plug] Protecting Online Files

Lyndon Maydwell maydwell at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 17:14:53 WST 2006

Maybe some DRM-y software that generates a unique key for the users
computer, uploads the key with some checksum to the server, then sends
the user a file encrypted using that key. I think pdf may be able to
have built in encryption, if so, this could work... so long as the
user never sees the key.

Not really sure of anything like this in production (apart from
itunes, but that uses a proprietry format right?). Just musing.

Or maybe some javascripty thing that unencrypts then renders data to
the brower. That way the document source would be garbled and couldn't
be read when distributed.

But don't we want less of this kind of thing?