[plug] Help setting up raid

Tomasz Grzegurzko tomasz89 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 21:06:01 WST 2006

Reagan Neal wrote:
> Hi plug.
>
> After a botched fedora 4 to 5 upgrade I did a clean reinstall but not I
> have no idea how to remount/setup a raid of 2 drives in striping mode
> (raid0 I think I remember it's called). If I remember when it was first
> set up anaconda wanted to make it a software raid (even tho it's on a
> hardware controller and set up on that) and it gets detected as a software
> raid. On boot it trys to mount the hardware raid hpt37x_cifaiicacjhtpXXXXX
> but gives an error of unknown disk. Attached is some help full info.
> ( http://members.iinet.net.au/~reagan/temp/raid.txt can't attach in pan
> and for some reason can mail to the list it bounces)
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated for this Linux newbie

If you're willing to re-create (read destroy and remake) the raid, I'd
suggest http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO.html

Its what I used to get the raid running of the linux server I have
here... Works beautifully for some 4? years now.. (but its running
Gentoo so I don't know how much Fedora specific help I can offer)..

Most "hardware" raid controllers aren't true hardware. Without
searching, I'd guess you have one of those. The $700 RAID cards (talking
either SCSI or SATA[2] here) are typically the only ones that have
hardware raid, true hardware raid, in which case you wouldn't even see
two separate hard drives being presented... Only one.

Tomasz