[plug] VOIP suggestions please

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Fri Apr 7 22:45:43 WST 2006

W.Kenworthy wrote:
> its generating and redoing the keys in a more logical and supportable
> manner that is bugging me!  Hopefully, this will be a once only - well
> until they expire!

I gotta admit the key administration is a headache..
I just used the latest scripts delivered with openvpn and they kinda managed what I needed, but it
will be a pain when I start going multi-server distributed across the place.. I'm going to have to
do some serious testing/planning before I try and deploy that.

Prior to the openvpn stuff I've been using ssh with port forwards, and that does a sterling job. But
when I had to be able to use udp and a whole spray of random udp ports ssh just ran out of snuff..
so I've bitten the bullet and deployed a vpn.

My biggest problem is the perth end being at the end of a bigpond cable modem.. :(

--- vpn-per ping statistics ---
100 packets transmitted, 92 packets received, 8% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 724.2/1115.0/1945.4 ms

it's a combination of bigpond and my useless isp up here.. 3 weeks ago I was on a 140ms ping to
conceptual.net.. now it's up in excess of 500..

Such are the trials of a 3rd world country on a 1st world budget..