[plug] Interesting "opportunity" with Firefox and downloading

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Sat Apr 8 16:17:41 WST 2006

Hi all,

Just a brief note about downloading software with FF and Konqueror. I
decided to download the sample VNC client software for Nortel Contivity
from Apani. This is in a number of formats, including several different
source RPMs and TGZs. I downloaded the SUSE ones using FF, and noticed
that when doing an ls -l on the downloaded software, that the source RPM
I'd downloaded was about 10 bytes longer than the site said it should
be, and the TXZ was about double the size. I repeated the download and
the same thing happened.

So I fired up Konqy and did the download from there and the sizes were
exactly what the site said they were.

Why there's a problem, I couldn't tell you, but it appears that
Konqueror is the superior solution when downloading using a browser.

Anybody else noticed this behaviour?

"But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not
 imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed
 at Columbus, they laughed at Edison, they laughed at the
 Wright brothers but they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
            -- Carl Sagan

Linux Counter user #306629