[plug] Catalogue Database (DVD, etc. titles?)

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Tue Apr 11 08:37:20 WST 2006

Cameron Patrick <cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au> writes:
>Bernd Felsche wrote:

>> Always save a copy of the original data. Write-protect the file.
>> Create a dotted sub-directory and place a hard link to the data
>> file within that directory; then make the sub-directory mode zero.
>> It'll make the file very hard to "lose" with normal user
>> permissions.

>An easier way of achieving this is `chattr +i`:

Only easier in some cases; impossible in others.

>  A file with the 'i' attribute cannot be modified: it cannot be  deleted
>  or  renamed,  no  link  can  be created to this file and no data can be
>  written to the file.  Only the superuser or a  process  possessing  the
>  CAP_LINUX_IMMUTABLE capability can set or clear this attribute.

$ man chattr
	chattr changes the  file  attributes  on  a  Linux  second
	extended file system.

i.e. It doesn't work on all filesystems, which is why I'd hestitate
to recommend it. For the general case, I tend to recommend things
that work for most systems; especially the ones that I tend to use.
:-)

>> Take a copy and put it on CD/tape/floppy.

>Yup.  Don't trust software with your only copy of any important data!
\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | "Laws do not persuade just because
 X   against HTML mail     |  they threaten."
/ \  and postings          | Lucius Annaeus Seneca, c. 4BC - 65AD.