[plug] File System Types ?

meyerri meyerri at westnet.com.au
Tue Apr 11 11:24:21 WST 2006

---- Original Message ----
From: ranime at westnet.com.au
To: plug at plug.org.au
Subject: RE: [plug] File System Types ?
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 10:37:38 +0800

>Hi,
>I would be interested to hear the pros and cons regarding
>Journalised Ext3  and Journalised ReiserFS ?
>
>ie: Your preferences for a file system for a desktop client ?
>and  why ....  Please.

Reiserf -
PROs - Faster than ext3fs with many small files (from articles on the
internet) - "Dynamic" inode allocation - if there's space for the
data, there's an inode available, too.

CONs - If it breaks, it can be REALLY broken, but since I backup
every night ....

EXT3 -
PROs - Can be read from Kernels with only EXT2 drivers builtin. Can
convert EXT2 to EXT3 simply - Can be fast for sustained throughput
(large files).

CONs - Fixed number of inodes set when you mkfs the filesystem.

Conclusion - I use Reiser

Stuart wrote about being able to rescue his Reiser file systems when
they were broken - I've never done it (or needed to).

Cheers
Richard