[plug] Catalogue Database (DVD, etc. titles?)

Daniel Foote freefoote at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 13:06:56 WST 2006

> >I do actually have an ulterior motive... I wrote my own inventory
> >system for the contents of my pantry, and I've been using that for the
> >last nine months to track things. I would have liked to get barcodes
> >automatically, but it seems that the data really isn't around. I've
> >collected about 400 barcodes and descriptions over this time (all
> >manually entered as encountered).
>
> You'll want to keep track of when you last scanned each code as EAN
> (GTIN) are only guarranteed to be unique for 3 years. The same
> "maker" can then re-use the same number for something entirely
> different.

I did not know that. I'll have to keep that in mind in future.

Do you know offhand some links of other information about these
things? Googling seems to be a bit sparse. (Plenty of .NET/ActiveX/MS
Office Barcode generators, however).

I did find, however, a Barcode -> Manufacturer page. If you can get
past the ugly page design, it seems to work - I pulled out a random
diary from my bag and entered the barcode - and the correct
manufacturer popped out. Doesn't seem to know the item details, but I
take it those are manufacturer assigned.

http://gepir.gs1.org/v3/go/default.aspx

Have fun.

Daniel Foote.