[plug] Hyperthreading ... boot parameter to disable it?

Jonathan Young jonathan at pcphix.com
Tue Apr 18 09:14:12 WST 2006

On 4/17/2006, "Bernd Felsche" <bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au> wrote:

>Dion <tenzero at iinet.net.au> writes:
>>Bernd Felsche wrote:
>
>>> ISTR that there was some boot parameter to prevent a Xeon going into
>>> Hyperthreading... but don't remember the exact details.
>
>>A quick google seems to point to simply adding "noht" to your boot
>>parameters.
>
>The Google should have shown you that the "noht" parameter is
>wishful thinking. :-) Sorry.
>
>>Otherwise, does your bios not allow disabling of HT.
>
>Not when I'm connected remotely! :-)

The BIOS option was the one I was going to suggest (generally if your
motherboard has a jumper or the BIOS has an option to disable, the OS
should listen right?), but if you are working remotely it is obviously a
little harder to do!

On that topic though, I realise that Linux will ignore the BIOS when it
comes to hard drive settings.  What about things such as memory
settings, power management and HT (as above)?

I often wonder which settings Linux/Unix listens to from the hardware and
which it ignores and/or overwrites?

- Jonathan