[plug] linux on a dell inspiron 9400

meyerri meyerri at westnet.com.au
Thu Apr 20 12:35:33 WST 2006

---- Original Message ----
From: simon at chrome64.org
To: plug at plug.org.au
Subject: Re: [plug] linux on a dell inspiron 9400
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 02:59:37 +0000

>simon (simon at chrome64.org) wrote:
>>
>> Hi all
>>
>> Im thinking of grabbing a 9400/2G/100G with an Intel Duo T2400 and
>an ATI
>> Radeon Mobility x1400 gfx.
>>
>> Has anyone run linux on a similar setup? Im particularly interested
>in support
>> for the gfx card and the sata chipset.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>Well, I couldnt wait, I had a looksee on the net and found a few
>references
>where most everything worked except wireless, which someone has
>recently
>gotten to work it seems.
>
>Laptop ordered. Got the cherry colour :) Thats the most important
>thing.

I've been eying the 6400, myself. My take on a laptop/notebook, is
that it HAS to to be protable, not just luggable, and that 9400 is
3.5 kgs.

Ideally, of course, I want an IBM X series, but since money doesn't
grow on a magic tree, I have to cut my coat to suit my cloth.

The 9400s I see on their website seem to have Intel 950 graphics
controllers, though.

.. and, yeah the colour is the most important - like when buying a
car, you just have to have "go-faster" stripes..  ;-)

I've also been eying this:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9711216601&sspag
ename=ADME:B:AAQ:AU:1 which is an ASUS Z62F 2.0G DUAL CORE 14.1"
NOTEBOOK LAPTOP with T2500 Dual 2.0Ghz, 1G Ram, 120G HDD, Camera,
DVDRW - Note - no Windows installed. But, the Dell prices are pretty
good, after all the rebates, cash-backs, and free upgrades ... ;-)