[plug] backups

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Fri Apr 21 11:36:27 WST 2006

Whats a good way to do a whole disk backup ready for a partial restore
(hunt and pick).  My thoughts are to scp / down a pipe into a tar.bz2 on
a server with room.  Or alternatively, dd it into a compressed loop
mounted file (how to create such a beast?).  This might be more
convenient.

My laptop is dying looks like being replaced, and rather than the
config/work area backups I am running with on a day to day basis, I am
looking to do a full one 'just in case' I have missed something
important.

BillK