[plug] backups

meyerri meyerri at westnet.com.au
Fri Apr 21 12:31:52 WST 2006

---- Original Message ----
From: billk at iinet.net.au
To: plug at plug.org.au
Subject: RE: [plug] backups
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 12:20:02 +0800

>rsync is great for partial backups, but fails on large whole disks
>with
>may thousands of files.  This is what I use for the partial backups I
>do.  Unison is also good (uses the rsync protocol), but also doesnt
>do
>large disks well.  Also, they dont have a compressed target.
>
>BillK

Agreed. rsync is great for a few directories. This is what I thought
you were going to do - copy /home/userid and maybe /etc. For a whole
disk it's not the thing to use, especially since you don't have a
"skeleton" on the server to update against. I also thought your
server would have adequate space, and not need compression.

But the way you're doing it now, is probably the best.

Cheers
RM