[plug] backups

Paul Arch paul at sdmgroup.com.au
Sun Apr 23 11:01:40 WST 2006

W.Kenworthy wrote:
> Yes, its a great program, but if it wont work then thats that.  There's
> some tricks that can extend how many files it can handle but eventually
> you run out of memory -

 From the FAQ ( http://samba.org/rsync/FAQ.html )
 "Yes, rsync uses a lot of memory. The majority of the memory is used to
hold the list of files being transferred. This takes about 100 bytes per
file, so if you are transferring 800,000 files then rsync will consume
about 80M of memory. It will be higher if you use -H or --delete."

I too have had great experience with rsync as a backup utility, its
progress with new features is outstanding.  I believe this whole memory
footprint issue is currently being looked at by developers.  Don't quote
me, but I am sure I read someone on the rsync list that at some stage
someone has submitted a patch which stored the filelist.

Maybe here : http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2003-February/005216.html

Of course check out the latest rsync manual probably would give you some
more clues

cheers

Paul