[plug] booting from a usb cdrom drive without bios support

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Fri Apr 28 16:33:59 WST 2006

Would a floppy (toms perhaps) or USB key boot get you far enough to load
the drivers and transfer control?  Use loadlin on the local disk (or
floppy) if windows as per the ancient redhat installs?

Another method that I use is to create a local chroot copy and build
gentoo within the local operating system and just boot from it when
complete (the local OS needs to be a linux though).

If windows, will the windows console (F5 or maybe F8 during boot) allow
you to transfer control to the CD and continue booting (have not tried
this so I dont know if it will work)

BillK