[plug] basic sled questions

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Fri Aug 4 13:23:34 WST 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-04 at 12:49 +0800, Senectus . wrote:
> I'm rather enjoying the whole SLED experience so far, it's a _very_
> slick distro.
>
> How do you search through repositories for installing extra software?
> How do you add extra repositories, and where would you suggest for
> Australian repo's ?

I've switched to Suse 10.1 from various Fedora versions and - barring
some glitches, which are well documented in blogs and reviews - it suits
me and I'm not going back!  Start by reading this blog first, I found it
a great help since everything about Suse was new to me:

http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/254/42/

Then you can look at these URLs for mirrors, etc.

http://en.opensuse.org/Mirrors_Released_Version#Australia_2

http://www.novell.com/products/suselinux/downloads/ftp/int_mirrors.html

http://en.opensuse.org/Additional_YaST_Package_Repositories

http://arachnopolis.gr/?page_id=22

http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_suse_10.1

http://packman.iu-bremen.de/MIRRORS

My history is that yum and apt on Fedora gave me the sh!ts so I found
yast for updates and installs on Suse a breath of fresh air.  You just
have to configure all the available repos and mirrors following the
suggestions on blogs, etc.  However, after the 'honeymoon' with yast I
have since found it wanting, so recently I switched to 'smart' and I
think that is THE way to manage suse.  Smart gives the benefit of yum's
mirror fallback with the reliability of apt.  HTH

Gavin