[plug] basic sled questions

meyerri meyerri at westnet.com.au
Fri Aug 4 15:16:18 WST 2006

---- Original Message ----
From: senectus at gmail.com
To: plug at plug.org.au
Subject: Re: [plug] basic sled questions
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 13:20:47 +0800

>On 04/08/06, meyerri <meyerri at westnet.com.au> wrote:
>> >
>> You could try Smart. The developer blogs here:
>> http://dev-loki.blogspot.com/
>>
>> and here is an article on how to use Smart with the factory version
>> of SUSE
>>
>http://dev-loki.blogspot.com/2006/04/how-to-use-smart-with-suse-linux
>.
>> html
>> This may or may not be suitable for use with SLED, but a note to
>Loki
>> would probably set you right.
>>
>> I can recommend Smart - it's pretty sma^H^H^Hclever.
>
>Isn't that what YaST is for?
>I'm kinda surprised that someone would suggest breaking ranks with
>the
>default package manager...
>Especially after being in the Debian/Ubuntu world for so long..

Remember that the default package manager isn't really Yast - it's
RPM. Yast is just a frontend that'll make sure that all the pre-reqs
and co-reqs are installed correctly. Smart does the same, but uses
multiple repositories.

You can find a writeup here: http://labix.org/smart
The introduction on the website says:
"The Smart Package Manager project has the ambitious objective of
creating smart and portable algorithms for solving adequately the
problem of managing software upgrading and installation. This tool
works in all major distributions, and will bring notable advantages
over native tools currently in use (APT, APT-RPM, YUM, URPMI, etc)."

And it also has packages for the following:
Packages for Mandriva Cooker, by Mandriva
Packages for Fedora Core 3+ and Enterprise Linux 4+, by RPMforge
Packages for Fedora Core, Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Red Hat Linux,
by ATrpms
Packages for Fedora Core 3, by Guilherme Manika
Packages for Debian, by Michael Vogt
Packages for CCux Linux, by CCux Linux
Packages for SuSE Linux, by Pascal Bleser.
Packages for Fedora Core 5, by Jeff Johnson
Packages for MacOS X, by Jeff Johnson
Packages for Fox Desktop, by Fox Linux
Packages for PCLinuxOS, by Torbjörn Turpeinen (Thac)
Packages for Slamd64

It just works for me.

Cheers
RM