[plug] On and off topic - Fedora working with Win2003 SBS? Backup software recommendations for a DDS4 tape drive under 2003 SBS

Alex Polglaze apolglaze at book-keepingnetwork.com.au
Sun Aug 6 10:11:14 WST 2006

Ari Finander wrote:

> On 8/5/06, *Daniel Pearson* <daniel at flashware.net
> <mailto:daniel at flashware.net>> wrote:
>
>     I've found that the built in Windows Backup program can work well,
>     assuming its been well scripted and the tapes are in the drive ready
>     to go for when the scheduled time is.
>

> Thanks for the input Daniel. I've read that in cases of disaster
> recovery it can only be used to restore to a system of very similar type
> of motherboard and CPU, is this accurate? I have only just started
> investigating this option. Scripting is something I'm not so crash hot
> on, but the tapes are always in the drive when a backup is scheduled
> (it's just hard to tell with their Tapeware software if that's occuring).
>

>     What kind of data is being backed up, and of what capacity? Does it
>     all fit on one tape, etc
>

> Yes, it all fits on one 40GB tape. It's office and scientific data as
> well as a couple of databases.

FWIW, I went to a seminar the other day and they were demonstrating  Windows back up,
complete system to to USB drive in a few seconds to a couple of minutes only. Then they
deleted some of the operating system files, and of course the system wouldn't reboot.

They then restored the system from the back-up.

The whole exercise was done using an audience member to be the monkey and it took less
than ten minutes from back-up, destruction, restore and then showing the working system again.

Very impressive. Further details available if wanted, but it is only for Windows and there
isn't and won't be, a Linux version in case you are wondering.

Alex