[plug] Centos config at install and devices

hatari hatari at iinet.net.au
Sun Aug 6 20:41:53 WST 2006

Just tried installing Centos 4.2, then 4.3.  Chose Centos because it is
billed as a "re-badged RedHat distro".

However it won't recognise the Microsoft mouse as such, nor the
Microsoft keyboard as such.

Consequently I seem to be getting "glitches" with the keyboard.
Sporadically and regularly it wants to sometimes print repeating
characters as I type (or backspace too many characters).

I don't think the glitches are because it installed ext2fs - as per
i386 instead of the i586 requested options.  Not sure if it is due to
"plug and play" irregularity in the bios selection.

However I did manage to change the keyboard "type", and finally get it
to "stick" after a couple of tries.

Since I don't use commandline much I try to use a gui.  This is always a
massive problem in Linux.  There really isn't a good control panel for
administration (unless someone would like to point out some usage to
me).  Kudzu did not fix the mouse problem - since there is no
opportunity to select and set the "type" of mouse.

I have tried many distros and each one seems to have some kind of
downside in the admin area.  This is probably due to the broad "church"
that looks after distro development.  Nothing seems to be elegant or
sweet, but mostly troublesome - no matter what you try to do.

Any tips?  Is it worth it?

wayne