[plug] Open Office Calc

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Mon Aug 7 09:16:37 WST 2006

conon <troll at arach.net.au> writes:
>On Sunday 06 August 2006 21:20, W.Kenworthy wrote:

>> you have probably got it open in another instance of OO
>> somewhere.  this includes remnants in memory of a crashed
>> instance.  Check 'ps aux' and see if anything shows up after
>> exiting any instances of OO running (not just calc, but writer
>> and anything else, and probably quickstater if you are running
>> that.)  In some stubborn cases the windozy solution of a reboot
>> was needed!

>> I havent has this occur since I moved to OO2, much better
>> behaved, even if its not as stable ...

>killall -9 soffice

That either works too well, failing to release resources (e.g. shared
memory) or it doesn't work well enough it a process is blocked
waiting in a system call.

If you can see the process, try to figure out why it's not
terminating after a "normal" sigterm/sighup/sigfpe.

"Satisfying" a condition for which a process is waiting means that
normal cleanup can take place.

SIGKILL "always works" though in my experience; with a high
probability of corrupting data or of leaving behind a big mess.

It tends to be "cheaper" to yank the power cord, especially if
you're dealing with applications on a multi-user database.
\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | "Laws do not persuade just because
 X   against HTML mail     |  they threaten."
/ \  and postings          | Lucius Annaeus Seneca, c. 4BC - 65AD.