[plug] Centos config at install and devices

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Mon Aug 7 16:29:11 WST 2006

On Sun, 2006-08-06 at 20:46 +0800, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 06, 2006, hatari wrote:
>
> > I have tried many distros and each one seems to have some kind of
> > downside in the admin area.  This is probably due to the broad "church"
> > that looks after distro development.  Nothing seems to be elegant or
> > sweet, but mostly troublesome - no matter what you try to do.
> >
> > Any tips?  Is it worth it?
>
> I hate to start a flame war - but have you tried Ubuntu?

Hmm ... yes, well :-/

Centos seems to have a great community concept behind it and seems very
promising.  However, I find from my own experience - and reports on
mailing lists - that all of the Redhat/Fedora/Centos family are
seriously lagging in hardware detection and control.  Because of that, I
used to be a committed Fedora user, but not anymore.

If you really want to persist with the Redhat/Fedora/Centos family I
think you have to be determined to 'get-down-and-dirty' with the config.
files.  Sometimes, even then things don't work.  Seems you have to pick
and choose your distro based on hardware.  Sad, but true.

Gavin.