[plug] Centos config at install and devices

meyerri meyerri at westnet.com.au
Tue Aug 8 10:23:25 WST 2006

---- Original Message ----
From: sales at ecosolutions.com.au
To: plug at plug.org.au
Subject: Re: [plug] Centos config at install and devices
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 08:00:41 +0800

>On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 23:18 +0800, hatari wrote:
>> So?
>>
>> Gavin, good observation - which I support.  So?  What would you
>> recommend?  Forget the "flame war" stuff; I am interested in your
>> technical opinion and observations.  In the past I have seen
>Mandrake
>> demonstrating good support for gui-based access to the whole
>system.
>> However, in recent times I am not sure about the support factor -
>and it
>> doesn't seem to be a recognised (or "quality") distro by SysAdmins.
>
>snip-
>
>Well, I _was_ hesitant to recommend a distro so that I didn't feed
>the
>flame war ;-)  But since you ask, I've recently converted across to
>suse
>because I was trying to find a distro with unmatched hardware
>detection.
>I find it to be that, plus it's slick, polished, fully-featured and
>has
>good gui support.  Sure it has glitches, but seemingly less than many
>others.  See recent posts here about polishing your suse experience.
>

>Gavin

I'm gonna violate all rules for civilised posting and say "Me too",
but I was a Mandrake fan for many years, until one of their releases
just irritated me senseless, and I changed to SUSE about 2 years ago.

It's not perfect, but it's pretty good. I like it better than
anything else I've tried, and just within the last 2 years, I've
tried Slackware (again), Gentoo, and Ubuntu (along with booting up
live CD's here and there, and looking carefully at Mepis).

HTH
RichardM