[plug] shared libraries that don't / aren't

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Mon Aug 14 14:23:33 WST 2006

Hello PLUG list members,

Hoping for some inspiration on this one, it's driving me batty.   Shared
libraries from one application are not seen by another application that
needs them...   (Sorry for long post but better more info than less
up-front I think.)

Database application Ingres2006 makes available several shared libraries
including (for example) libinterp.1.so
Backup application BrightStor ARCserve would like to make use of this for
its cacommd and cadbd modules.

/etc/ld.so.conf has been edited to include the Ingres2006's lib directory
and ldconfig has been run (as root.)   A subsequent ldconfig -p shows that
libinterp.1.so (and others from the Ingres2006 application) are being shared.

Environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH has been updated and exported to
include reference to the Ingres2006 libraries.

But ARCserve subbornly refuses to believe that.   Modules "cadbd" and
"cacommd" error upon loading with a not-found error.   Both are critical
for ARCserve operation.

Doing an ldd <module name> shows the ARCserve libraries nicely in place but
the Ingres ones (including the example libinterp.1.so) stubbornly "not found."

I have added symlinks to the Ingres .so's in the ARCserve directory tree,
but no dice.
I have even put hard copies of the .so files in there, to no avail.
I have even put symlinks to the Ingres libraries in the main /lib directory
but, you guessed it, no deal.
On top of that I have put symlinks / actual copies of the libinterp.1.so
and friends in the place they would be IF I had installed the built-in
Advantage Ingres along with ARCserve!!!   Darn it, I cannot see it has any
excuse to NOT find them.
I doubt it is a permissions issue because they look okay.

The basics of Ingres2006 are definitely being found by ARCserve because it
is happy to populate the database, tables, etc with their starting values.

The basics of the ARCserve installation, likewise, must be happy because I
can perform functions with other of its modules (that do not rely on the
shared libraries) like quiz the tape drive status.

I *must* be missing something obvious, but *what*??

System is SuSE SLES9.3 on x86_64 platform.   The Ingres2006 is the
production release for x86_64 and the BrightStor is version 11r5 with SP1.

To those who know of ARCserve, it ships with Advantage Ingres but I cannot
have the two Ingres'es simultaneously installed because they will compete
for a common "ingres" user.   The Advantage Ingres installation wants to
see the ingres user in its own directory tree.   Ingres2006 on the other
hand wants it in /home/ingres a place with which I feel more comfortable.

Note, too, that trying to install just the ARCserve along with its
Advantage Ingres gives installation errors - database does not start.   So
I can't say that I'll just use the Advantage Ingres for my database
application.   (In case you're wondering, there are political reasons why a
database other than Ingres is not used, so PostgreSQL, Oracle, MySQL etc
are non-starters.)

TIA
Denis