[plug] linux on an imac

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Mon Aug 21 12:44:25 WST 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 12:28 +0800, Tomasz Grzegurzko wrote:
> On 8/21/06, Gavin Chester <sales at ecosolutions.com.au> wrote:

-snip-

> > Anyone been successful with _any_ flavour of linux on a 1998-vintage
> > imac with NO mac software available?  Could you please point me to a
> > howto?  Thanks.
> >
> > Gavin.
> >
> I've just nabbed one of these. All you should need to do is hold "C"
> on boot. I've tried to install Linux on these but cannot get past the
> bootloaders in testing versions of Gentoo (haven't tried stable I'll
> admit).

Thanks for quick reply, Tomasz.  The howtos I posted originally may be
of use on your problem :-).

Sadly, neither 'c' nor 'apple+alt+o+f' get me past the flashing icon :-(

> The icon you're seeing is stating "Can't find boot device".

I thought as much, but the damn thing won't go away.  I even tried a
different distro boot/install CD, but no good.  I can hear the CD
spinning up, but it is not being seen as a boot device :-(

Gavin.