[plug] linux on an imac

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Sat Aug 26 16:09:03 WST 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 12:11 +0800, Gavin Chester wrote:

> Anyone been successful with _any_ flavour of linux on a 1998-vintage
> imac with NO mac software available?  Could you please point me to a
> howto?  Thanks.

Thanks to many for the replies received on this thread.  If things were
'normal' with the strawberry imac that came into my possession, then I
should have been laughing ages ago.  However, it seems I have a hardware
problem whereby the standard mac USB keyboard does didley-squat to allow
me to access openfirmware or to use any key combo to force booting off a
CD.  I also tried plugging in a generic 104-key USB keyboard and it was
even less recognised.  At least the imac keyboard _seemed_ to offer some
function :-(  I will give it a go as a diskless client on an LTSP setup
instead.

Gavin.