[plug] usb-storage/hal/kde communication weirdness

conon troll at arach.net.au
Wed Aug 30 23:55:16 WST 2006

I have 3 machines on a home network all running linux.
1 server/workstation
2 nfs root workstations

On the server and 1 of the workstations I can plug and unplug
a usb storage device (mp3 player) multiple times and get the
kde popup asking what to do with the meduia.

On the 2nd workstation it happens only the first time after a boot.
Subsequent plug/unplugs do not do anything. /dev/sda1 is apearing just fine.

The only real difference that I can find is that the usb chip that fails is
OHCI and the two UHCI chips work fine.

All run -
linux-2.6.17.8
hal-0.5.7.1
dbus-0.92
kdebase-3.5.3
udev-090

The system's are based on LFS (originally) and compiled from source.

The hardware is -
 Server -
  Asus A7V8X-MX (UHCI usb hcd) mainboard
  AMD Athlon 2000 cpu