[plug] Unable to set hardware clock

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 18:56:38 WST 2006

I noticed that each time my machine reboots (the once every blue
moon), it's clock is 1 hour slow, so ntp doesn't startup. (When I get
around to it, I'll make ntpdate run first)

So i synced the clock, and tried to sync it back to the hardware clock...

$ sudo /sbin/hwclock --systohc --utc
Cannot access the Hardware Clock via any known method.
Use the --debug option to see the details of our search for an access method.
$ sudo /sbin/hwclock --debug --systohc --utc
hwclock from util-linux-2.12r
hwclock: Open of /dev/rtc failed, errno=16: Device or resource busy.
No usable clock interface found.
Cannot access the Hardware Clock via any known method.
$ ls -l /dev/rtc
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 10, 135 2006-12-01 22:56 /dev/rtc

Then I discovered I can't even read the hardware clock!!

$ sudo /sbin/hwclock --utc
Cannot access the Hardware Clock via any known method.
Use the --debug option to see the details of our search for an access method.
$ sudo /sbin/hwclock --debug --utc
hwclock from util-linux-2.12r
hwclock: Open of /dev/rtc failed, errno=16: Device or resource busy.
No usable clock interface found.
Cannot access the Hardware Clock via any known method.

It's a WinFast (Foxconn) nForce4 board, with an AMD64 3000+

$ uname -a
Linux linjeni 2.6.18linjeni #4 SMP Tue Nov 14 16:25:26 WST 2006 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ grep -i rtc /usr/src/linux-2.6.18/.config
CONFIG_HPET_EMULATE_RTC=y
CONFIG_RTC=y
# CONFIG_HPET_RTC_IRQ is not set
CONFIG_SND_RTCTIMER=m
CONFIG_SND_SEQ_RTCTIMER_DEFAULT=y
# CONFIG_RTC_CLASS is not set

$ lsmod|grep rtc
snd_rtctimer            4120  1

Any ideas what is wrong, please let me know!

Thanks

Tim
--
Linux Counter user #273956