[plug] Daylight Rubbish

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Mon Dec 4 01:28:32 WST 2006

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006, Arie Hol wrote:

> Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 00:32:08 +0900
> From: Arie Hol <arie99 at ozemail.com.au>
> To: plug at plug.org.au
> Subject: Re: [plug] Daylight Rubbish
>

> I have been looking through headers of some of the emails that I have
> been getting today.
>
> It seems there are several mail servers in the system that are having
> problems with  adjusting to daylight saving and the timezone changes.
>
> So I sent myself a test message :
>
> Sent at 00:23 +0900
>
> When I got it back from the mail server - it was timestamped as being
> sent at :
>
> 15:23 -0000.
>
> So I guess that there are quite few people having problems with WDST
>
> Regards Arie

Your message above, has the Sent timestamp that is GMT +0900.

The mailserver timestamp (assuming that it is an ISP mailserver), has
nothing to do with the WDT issue.

Some ISP's deliberately set and keep their servers, at GMT, rather than
local time, for some reason peculiar to ISP's, possibly to confuse the
public.

I suggest that it is likely that:
1. The ISP mailserver is deliberately set at GMT, and,
2. The ISP has botched up its mailserver system time.

ISP's tend to be good at doing both of these things.

Oh, and if you decide to look at the full header and find that our
mailserver has an amusing timestamp (as in not very accurate), I
wouldn't bother to comment about it - with the erratic electricity
supply, and the being messed around by the government in this time
bastardry (that should be the timestamp acronym - WBT - Western
Bastardised Time), it is not worth installing the time bastardry patch
and rebooting each of the servers, and then correcting the system time,
as the electricity would likely fail, and botch everything up, anyway.
Every time we get around to setting all of the clocks here, to the
correct time, the electricity tends to fail again, and then we have to
do it all again, so I generally just have different timezones in each
room, and different system times on each computer.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

  you'll know what the answer means."