[plug] java timezone patch

Kev kdownes at tpg.com.au
Tue Dec 5 16:42:00 WST 2006

Michael Holland wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Dec 2006, Kev wrote:
>

>> My fix was done within a cone of complete ignorance, but it works 100%
>>

> so you don't use Java then?

I can read the thread heading, however, not-with-standing that the
person before me (one  Michael Holland if I'm not mistaken) said, and I
quote,

"On OS-X, there is no fix at all yet. The best answer is to switch to
Japanese time!  I tried coping /usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/Perth from
Linux to OS-X, and now 'date' works, but the menu bar clock is wrong.
Open the 'set time' dialog and the analog clock show DST, but the adjacent
digital clock shows WST. WTF!!!?  iCal does even weirder things mixing the
two."
"So attempting to fix the zoneinfo on OS-X is not a good idea at this
stage.  Grudging credit to Microsoft on this one. "

Now this is back into the system timezone thingy.  In line 2 above we
see, and I quote again,

"I tried coping /usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/Perth ..."

and more in line 3,

"... but the menu bar clock is wrong."

Now, is that about Java time or the system timezone info?  As I said,
and I quote yet again,

"... complete ignorance ..."

These zoneinfo threads over the past few days, including the [plug]
Daylight Rubbish thread have been wide ranging, even wider than I went.
So what's your problem.  You articulated a certain problem, as quoted
above, and according to my interpretation of that I told you what fixed
it for me.  If I'm wrong, so be it, but don't just do the  PLUG thing of
old and  and simply make a big man of yourself at by putting down one
who already confessed his ignorance.  Even you started somewhere once.

>> Given that OS X is a BSD derivative I would have thought that this would
>> work there too.
>>

> see http://bur.st/~myk/ical.png

Kev Downes
kdownes at tpg.com.au  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We use and recommend Xandros 4.0.0
There are 10 types of people ...
   ... those who understand binary, and those who don't!
"Jesus Christ is the centre of everything and the object of everything;
He who does not know him, knows nothing of the order of the world
and nothing of himself."             Blaise Pascal