[plug] entertainment centre

Alex Polglaze apolglaze at book-keepingnetwork.com.au
Tue Dec 5 21:50:54 WST 2006

G'day All,

I am interested in setting up a new computer to become an entertainment
centre, record TV, hold all my cd's and behave as a juke box when
required etc., etc..

When I spoke to my computer supplier today, he suggested that I wait
until next year to get the new Windows Vista his reply is below.

> You'd be best to purchase a PC with Windows Media Centre on, or wait
> till early next year when PC's with Vista home Premium will be available
> ( new version of windows )
> The media centre functionality is the bit that is designed for
> entertainment
I don't really want to go the Windows route, so I was wondering just how
advanced Linux based equivalents are and what are the pitfalls using
this method. I know BillK has a pretty impressive set-up as far as TV
goes from reading his posts.

Anybody else doing/done this sort of thing?

Thanks

Alex