[plug] Moving Running System to new HDD

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 10:25:47 WST 2006

On 12/6/06, Michael Holland <myk at myk.id.au> wrote:

> How full is the existing root partition? More than the 20G in it?

around 5Gb :D Hence having a smaller destination partition is easy.

> If using a boot CD, use "hdparm -d1 /dev/XXX" to enable DMA.

For some reason, it wouldn't work. I think it has something to do with
the chipset, and no module on the boot CD's I tried?

> Otherwise, its safer to remount root as read-only before copying it,
> and best to switch to single-user mode (runlevel 1) before doing that.

Ok, so if in single-user mode, with / as ro, then it should be easy
enough to just copy over, change a few things in /etc on the
destination, and chroot into the new system and run grub? :D
I'll give it a try sometime then! Would it be "easy" enough to do a
rsync for example while it's live, then take it down to single user, /
as ro, and do a final rsync which will hopefully be quicker?

Tim
--
Linux Counter user #273956
Don't email joeblogs at scouts.org.au