[plug] dual-boot "gamers" machine h/w suggestions please?

Kev kdownes at tpg.com.au
Wed Dec 6 21:08:02 WST 2006

William Kenworthy wrote:
> On my wifes laptop I use grub to select either gentoo or doze.  Linux
> suspends using a suspend2 patched kernel, and doze as doze does
> (hibernate).  So you just need to suspend either (to disk, not ram!),
> and resume the one you want.  Grub uses a 1 second timeout - enough for
> me to select linux, but is almost transparent when booting the default
> XP, so she who must be obeyed doesnt get upset and yell at me for
> fiddling with her pride and joy :)
>
> If it was one of my own machines, I run doze in vmware or qemu (my
> current preference) and suspending within that - you can get quite a
> fast resume that way, and doze is rock solid)!!
>
> BillK
Unfortunately many (if not most) high end games now a days won't even
install in VMs.  WoW, for instance, I can't coax to install into a VM.
Even if you do get to install the game you want, if it's half way decent
in the action department the VM won't be able to provide the
horsepower.  Games need the 600+ HP of a Ferrari, not the 600+ HP of an
interstate semi.  Hence VMs are good for office apps, and servers, not
yet there for high end games.  I've tried it in VMware, Parallels and
Win4Lin.  Btw, I do use VMs (I've settled for Parallels) - they're a
great invention, but not for gaming :-(

Kev

Kev Downes
kdownes at tpg.com.au  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We use and recommend Xandros 4.0.0
There are 10 types of people ...
   ... those who understand binary, and those who don't!
"Jesus Christ is the centre of everything and the object of everything;
He who does not know him, knows nothing of the order of the world
and nothing of himself."             Blaise Pascal