[plug] removing packages

Adam Hewitt ahewitt at ursys.com.au
Thu Dec 7 10:27:05 WST 2006

On 07/12/2006, at 6:20 AM, Tomasz Grzegurzko wrote:

> Jason wrote:
>> Greetings everyone,
>> Last night I was playing around on my system, and wanted to
>> install an app called ktorrent.
>> I had to install KDE to get it to work and when I did, apt-get
>> installed about 100 or so packages as well as KDE.
>> In the end, I didn't really like ktorrent and now want to remove
>> all of those applications that were installed upon doing apt-get
>> install kde.
>> If I do apt-get remove kde, it only wants to get rid of "kde",
>> nothing else.
>> How can I have apt remove the packages it installed without
>> working out a manual list?
>> Regards,
>> Jason.
> Aptitude can handle this kind of stuff for you automatically, it
> has the ability to mark packages automatically installed so when
> nothing depends on them they get removed also. I'm afraid this is
> where apt is lacking, the only way to do it now is go through /var/
> log/dpkg.log and see what packages got installed as a result of
> your action and remove them, and stick to aptitude in future!
>

> <SNIP>

You could also use deborphan (I think its called) which makes you go
through every package on the system and shows you the packages that
it is holding through dependencies and asks you what you want to do
with it. Then when you hit 'ktorrent" it will show you all the
packages that depend on it and you can elect to remove them all.

Adam.