hot swap Re: [plug] Moving Running System to new HDD

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Thu Dec 7 12:53:39 WST 2006

Michael Holland wrote:

> What about external USB2 drives? VERY common for consumers now. Much more
> so than removable SATA.  Does that not qualify?

Of course they qualify, but I figured that more people are keeping their
Linux root partitions in SATA drives (not realising that they are
hotpluggable) than are using USB2 root drives.

Incidentally, am I the only one who gets really scared about how hot
drives run in those enclosures?  Especially since they don't implement
any SMART monitoring and generally don't let you spin the drive down.

Cameron