[plug] dual-boot "gamers" machine h/w suggestions please?

Kev kdownes at tpg.com.au
Thu Dec 7 13:38:28 WST 2006

Timothy White wrote:
>> Third is the motherboard. I would recommend going with the nForce590
>> or nForce 570 based boards, as opposed to the nForce4 boards that
>> were recommended by others, however I am not sure about the linux
>> compatibility for those boards.
>
> I've no idea about this. I just know that nForce4 usually is rock
> solid in Linux compatability, has Native SATA, etc etc, which things
> like Via often lack. Seeing as I've fallen behind in the gaming world
> (other than yesterday, when I discovered sauerbraten, or cube 2, and
> as last time I played Cube, I was on dialup, I finally got a chance
> for online playing, and co-op editing!).

The big name in gaming mobos is DFI.  They specialize in gaming gear.
Nintek stock their range, so that's a good place to go and have a look.
Nintek are mail order ONLY even though they're in Nedlands they won't
sell anything over the counter.  However, I and my son have used them
many times and they've been VERY reliable.  If they have what you want
in stock at the time you'll get your stuff overnight sometimes.  All
orders over a certain amount (about $200.00 I think) are pack n post
free too.  Nintek are at:-

http://www.nintek.com.au/x/scripts/

For heaps of gaming gear advice check out the OCAU (Over Clockers
Australia) forums.  Despite their name it's not over clocking, but it is
all hard core gaming.  OCAU are at:-

http://www.overclockers.com.au/

These 2 site will be like wonderland for real latent gamer :-)

Cheers
Kev

Kev Downes
kdownes at tpg.com.au  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We use and recommend Xandros 4.0.0
There are 10 types of people ...
   ... those who understand binary, and those who don't!
"Jesus Christ is the centre of everything and the object of everything;
He who does not know him, knows nothing of the order of the world
and nothing of himself."             Blaise Pascal