[plug] entertainment centre

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Thu Dec 7 14:37:04 WST 2006

Not all TV is digital so you need an analog encoder - I am using an old
V4L card (for foxtel) and all the work is done by the host. (think
foxtel, videocams as input and the like).  Paying for something like a
PVR150 when I have v4l i/p's sitting around doing nothing is a luxury.

Transcoding while running everything else.

Using one host for display and backend (serving multiple streams) can
suck the cycles.

It can be done with with less - if you dont care about the occasional
crash, or glitches in the recordings or when viewing.  Myth is not the
most stable app around, but 0.20 is not bad, except when being thrashed.

After using myth for a over a year (I think), I am getting more critical
of the quality of set top boxes (topfield and Foxtel) - they show many
of the same glitches that were present when using low end cpu's for Myth

BillK