[plug] dual-boot "gamers" machine h/w suggestions please?

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 15:31:35 WST 2006

On 12/7/06, Kev <kdownes at tpg.com.au> wrote:
> Timothy White wrote:
> >> Third is the motherboard. I would recommend going with the nForce590
> >> or nForce 570 based boards, as opposed to the nForce4 boards that
> >> were recommended by others, however I am not sure about the linux
> >> compatibility for those boards.
> >
> > I've no idea about this. I just know that nForce4 usually is rock
> > solid in Linux compatability, has Native SATA, etc etc, which things
> > like Via often lack. Seeing as I've fallen behind in the gaming world
> > (other than yesterday, when I discovered sauerbraten, or cube 2, and
> > as last time I played Cube, I was on dialup, I finally got a chance
> > for online playing, and co-op editing!).
>
> The big name in gaming mobos is DFI.  They specialize in gaming gear.

:-O and I just placed the DFI board in the server :P

Actually, I knew that, but it was too much work to move stuff around
etc etc. So I settled for my slower machine, without the DFI, and the
server sits there (almost idle) with lots of grunt, and a sparkling
DFI board to boot. I'll probably be getting a dual core in the near
future anyway.

> Nintek stock their range, so that's a good place to go and have a look.
> Nintek are mail order ONLY even though they're in Nedlands they won't
> sell anything over the counter.  However, I and my son have used them
> many times and they've been VERY reliable.  If they have what you want
> in stock at the time you'll get your stuff overnight sometimes.  All
> orders over a certain amount (about $200.00 I think) are pack n post
> free too.  Nintek are at:-
>
> http://www.nintek.com.au/x/scripts/

I must aggree. This DFI was from Nintek, and they are a smashing good
place to shop!!

Tim
--
Linux Counter user #273956