[plug] dual-boot "gamers" machine h/w suggestions please?

Shannon Carver shannon.carver at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 14:32:32 WST 2006

Careful with that Arie.

It's listed as an 8x AGP, PCI-E Graphics card.  My understanding is its one
or the other, either AGP or PCI-E and that AGP is next to dead (apart from a
mid-range card that's been released recently, the 7600GS) and basically
being phased out.

With that in mind, I'd still build a box from scratch.  It's probably a
decent price, keeping in mind the LCD was probably 300-400 on its own, but
the specs are fairly low in the way of a game machine.

You'd be better to:
Get a better motherboard, with multiple PCI-E slots (in case you wanted to
go SLI, seems the way of the gamer nowadays), more RAM, much better video
card (the one listed is now at least a year old, NVIDIA has just started
with the 8 series, two in front of the 6600).

All in all, its not a bad machine, I just wouldn't be expecting huge
performance out of it.

Shannon