[plug] hot freeze - not a contradiction in terms

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Tue Dec 12 20:34:03 WST 2006

With this hot spell I have seen my workstation emulating a windoze PC in
the sense that twice today without warning it has lost all keyboard
input and apparent disc I/O so that I could not even open a VT or do
anything except a full reboot.

I suspect the heat is causing disc problems and perhaps my box is not
ventilated well enough, but I can't find anything in /var/log/messages
at the time the latest lock-up happened.  (Aside: you may recall that I
reported problems with these discs before in that the filesystem has
become read-only without warning)

Just what might I be seeing here, do you think?  Where might I look to
get a better understanding?

System: Dell Precision 450 with dual Xeon 2.66 and two scsi drives setup
with LVM, running opensuse 10.1.

Gavin.