[plug] hot freeze - not a contradiction in terms

Alex Nordstrom lx at se.linux.org
Tue Dec 12 21:52:12 WST 2006

Tuesday, 12 December 2006 20:34, Gavin Chester wrote:
> I suspect the heat is causing disc problems and perhaps my box is not
> ventilated well enough, but I can't find anything in
> /var/log/messages at the time the latest lock-up happened.  (Aside:
> you may recall that I reported problems with these discs before in
> that the filesystem has become read-only without warning)
>
> Just what might I be seeing here, do you think?  Where might I look
> to get a better understanding?

If you are suspecting heat-related problems, I guess the first step if
you haven't already done it is to install hddtemp and turn on its
syslog facility to see what sort of temperatures we're actually talking
about.

Depending on what your hardware supports, there are a few other heat
sensor packages to install to monitor various components.

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/