[plug] hot freeze - not a contradiction in terms

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Wed Dec 13 10:56:55 WST 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 10:36 +0900, W.Kenworthy wrote:
> Step 1: open case
> Step 2: remove dustbunnies fron cpu cooler, fans, power supply and vents
> using a vacuum cleaner and a soft (natural hair, not nylon) paint brush.
> Step3: make note in diary to do this at the start of *EVERY* summer,
> *BEFORE* things heat up ..

All good advice in general terms, thanks Bill :-).  However, I go one
step better and blast all dust to smithereens with a jet of 100psi dry,
filtered air from my compressor ;-)  Vacuums just don't do the same
level of service - besides the static they can cause.

I guess I am _assuming_ that it's heat related because of the timing of
the events.  My box has a front fan that only comes on when things
really heat up, and in both freezes it was going strong while my office
had hit 32deg inside.

What I was hoping for was guidance as to what logs and tests to look at,
but it seems my drives don't offer heat logs anyway (see previous
post) :-(