[plug] hot freeze - not a contradiction in terms

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Wed Dec 13 11:42:41 WST 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 10:20 +0800, Timothy White wrote:

> > > Depending on what your hardware supports, there are a few other heat
> > > sensor packages to install to monitor various components.
> >
> > I have smartmontools installed but unfortunately I get "device does not
> > support SMART" and "device does not support self-test logging", etc.
> > Since my drives are scsi, I tried another tool "safte-monitor" for
> > SAF-TE capable enclosures (SCSI Accessible Fault Tolerant Enclosures),
> > but also hit a brick wall with this message "No SAF-TE devices present"
> > Then I tried "scsirastools" and it showed one scsi drive had 31 grown
> > defects, but that utility doesn't log temperatures :-(  I've come up
> > against blank, then.
>
> What SCSI controller?

LSI Logic raid array, running two 36GB scsi drives in a single 72GB LVM
system.  I have some replacement 73GB scsi drives bought off ebay, maybe
it's time to shift my system across to them, especially as one of the
existing 36GB drives is accumulating bad blocks :-(

> For example SATA drives need extra params to get
> their temps. My SATA drives need '-d ata' under smartctl to get SMART
> data.
>
>        -d TYPE, --device=TYPE
>               Specifies the type of the device.  The valid arguments  to  this
>               option  are  ata,  scsi, marvell, and 3ware,N. If this option is
>               not used then smartctl will attempt to  guess  the  device  type
>               from the device name.
>
> Try hddtemp as well. It reads my SATA drives no problem.

My reading of hddtemp is that it calls info from SMART drives, whereas
mine report NOT being smart capable :-(

Gavin