[plug] Working around bad blocks

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat Dec 23 20:54:31 WST 2006

On Sat, Dec 23, 2006 at 07:53:27PM +0900, Timothy White wrote:
[...]
> So what I would do, is make a /tmp and swap in the first 3000Mb's of
> the drive, then a special blank 40Mb partition that would certainly
> cover the bad blocks, then use the rest of the drive for what I want
> to use it for, Debian mirrors.

Try that, and overwrite it a few times ("dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda3"
or similar, or "badblocks -w"), and the drive may reallocate those
sectors. If it's a SATA disc, you'd see the Reallocated_Sector_Ct go
up. ("smartctl -a -d ata /dev/sda", from smartmontools)

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal